Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Strange Days--and Posts

Today has just been an off day. It has been a day of such weird and wearisome things as;
-No rabbit sightings
-Busyness all around
-Schoolwork
-Tiredness

..and besides this, I have been writing a rather depressing chapter in my novel, which is affecting my mood, perhaps. After all, C.S. Lewis once said that 'The Screwtape Letters' was depressing to write because he was writing from inside of him. My character is going through all sorts of depressing stuff, such as...well, how about I show you?

"He forced himself upright, and continued onward through the snow. Aron could barely see the ship in front of him, with the blinding white snow obscuring his sight, but he thought he was going in the direction of the captain's cabin.

Aron's danger sense began to steadily grow. His head began buzzing furiously, and he felt dizzy and swayed for a moment. He stumbled over a drift and fell into the snow, breathing hard.

Then he looked closer--and discovered that it was no drift. It was a body."


Yep. Scary. :) And scary to write, I can assure you. I had no idea that that would happen until the second paragraph of those three. Funny how those things happen. :)


Besides this, I have been using my science to make some stuff up in my fantastical world (no pun intended). I just learned about how there are no storms in the somethingsphere, which is above the bottom somethingsphere--or at least, there are rarely storms up there. So I made up a storm--known only to me as a yarjasti storm--that cruises down from the what'shisfacesphere and generally wrecks havoc on pretty much everything. Which is what Aron, my Protagonist, is experiencing. :) He is experiencing this because he was brave enough--stupid enough would probably be a better word--to sail up the northern Great Sea (isn't that always what the great seas in novels are called?). Y'know, that place from where 'no man has ever returned', and is a 'ship grave' etc. etc. etc. That seems to be the fate of all stupidly brave Protagonists...


Oh, and did I mention that this yarjasti storm is driving Aron's ship into the open sea? No, this wasn't already open sea. The area in which Aron is traveling is like a HUGE bay--like Hudson Bay, up in Canada. The Country of Paladain is on the far eastern side, the Countries are underneath and in the middle, while Aleorendos is smack on the bottom of the map. Now, where Aron is traveling is the faaaaar north-west corner of that bay. And beyond the 'bay'? Even I don't know that. If you're still confused, examine the tidy (actually, tis rather untidy) little Paint map that I created below.




The straight blue line (it doesn't really look blue from this vantage) is their path. The squiggly line is where they are going. And the big dot? Where they were at the making of that scene. :)

So now you know the stakes--and, unfortunately, I have yet to devise a way to save my poor Protagonist from this pridicament. Moahahaha. :D

One more thing; I just had a 'twelfth of a dozen' of my mom's heavenly rolls. *sigh*

But now that I've gotten this out, I actually feel a lot better. Thanks for enduring this sarcastic torture, my faithful readers! :)

--
Jake

6 comments:

RED~Scribe said...

Oh, no problem, Jake, it was highly entertaining. And I know exactly what you mean about not knowing where you're going until you're suddenly there. Or when new ideas randomly pop into your head.

And I haven't seen any rabbis around either. I wonder where they all went. . .

Nolan said...

Oooh... what font are you using in that map?

And haven't you heard? The rabbits are at their meeting they attend every thousand years. Probably coming up with another epic fail plan to take over the world... that last one?... oh boy. They're doomed. My pet rabbit even went ninja on me...


Storytelling really gets to your head...

Jake said...

@Beorn
I used Papyrus. :)

I had heard about the thousand-year legend...I'll research it and post tomorrow to warn everyone. :|

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

Haha! I don't think anyone minds when Jake goes sarcastic on us :P Just make sure you come back from the brink of insanity! Every writer has to deal with that...including me.

I like your map too; it's very tidy :)

And about what Beorn said, I've heard about this ancient fable, but it's a bit different from where I come. They say that the rabbits meet each other in their sleep (like in some kind of rabby-dream-world or whatever). That way it is less suspicious to their owners. But then...when the surprise attack comes *BAM* you get hit without knowing it.

Anyhoo, have a great day!

Squeaks.

RED~Scribe said...

Beorn - Uh, if they only meet once a year, then why did your rabbit go ninja on you? Were you around 1000 years ago? Or was it a hangover?

Jake said...

@Eldra
Well, every year is a thousand to rabbits. They live to be 5000 years old or older--if one has attended five Thousand-Year-Meetings, they are considered Elders and are highly honored--in their own bloodthirsty way. In case you're wondering, my dog told me this. He is a rabbexpert. I always wondered why he barely ever chases rabbits anymore...they're dangerous. :| Oh, by the way; they're meeting is tomorrow. The first day of Autumn...and they'll strike then. I'll write a blog post and warn everyone.

@Squeaks
I've heard that too--but their telepathic ability goes up with years. Young headstrong rabbits--always eating and hardly ever fighting, shame on them--can barely contact others in the Rabbitdreamworld. :P Perhaps the carrots scramble their senses...