Monday, September 13, 2010

A Question of Profile Pictures

I have been contemplating the idea of getting a profile picture for some time. Should it be of me, myself, and I? Or perhaps my 'pen' picture that is slowly spreading? Or maybe something completely different, like Millard's burning keyboard picture? :)

I've especially noticed it when I post on someone else's blog; if I use my Google (Gmail) account on some blogs (which I usually don't, since I'd rather link directly to Teenage Writer than to my profile) I'm a 'Jake'...and that's all. No distinguishing feature to mark me any different than any other pictureless 'Google-Jakes' out there. Nothing, like Millard's keyboard, or Squeaks's...uh, something (I'm having a short late-night memory shortage), or Eldra's horse, or Storyteller's smiley, or...well, you get the picture. ;) (Pun intended)

So, what do you, my readers, think about this delicate subject? (For the record, I think I shall remain 'pictorally' anonymous, but I'd still like your opinion.)

--
Jake

6 comments:

RED~Scribe said...

I like having a profile picture because it makes it easy to find particular comments without having to look at the names (as some names are very similar at a glance).

Nolan said...

I would vote against posting an actual picture of you--the internet is a badddd place to put stuff like that =)

But it is overall a good idea to have one =D

Wow, I only just noticed this, but on your header, it says Thoughs instead of Thoughts. =O

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

Haha! You forgot mine! I have a picture of me drawing a mountain scene XD actually I'm not, I'm actually "pretending" to draw a REAL mountain scene. But, I've also noticed that my other picture (for my google profile) comes up too; that's the picture of a stream flowing over a blockage of branches).

But as for you, I think you should find a picture that really describes WHO you are but doesn't show who you are. Of course, if you really want to put up a face picture then that is your decision, but perhaps something more along the lines of your story...something that implies your writing style or personality.

Take a look around the net too, you might find something interesting...

And in the mean time, I'm thinking of changing my profile picture.

Squeaks.

Anonymous said...

you forgot Storyteller's Smiley! :)

My view is if you want to use a pic of yourself people feel more comfortable taking with you. (something about the seeing is believing)
BUT do you feel comfortable with your face all over the web?
I know of about 5 places where there is a picture of me on the web and I for one don't really like it.

I like the idea of a pen, it is simple but it tells a lot about you.
I'm working on something like that for myself, dagger though. :)

That is my two cents.

GA

Jake said...

@Squeaks
I never did quite find out what that picture was until now! :D

@Goldarrow
How in the world could I forget that?!? I will go in and edit it right now. :)

@Beorn
Oops! I really have to get my sister help me change the header. It has 'thoughs' like you mentioned, and '7th grader' still up there; I'm in eighth grade now. :)

@Everyone
I have decided to do my pen picture until further notice. :D I may change it later.

PS; I am going to use my Google account to comment from now on--so be prepared. :D

Prescott said...

If you should get a picture, you should go with something that defines you in some small way, like how tall you are (pic of measuring tape) or something like that. Just an idea.