Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Unveiling of the Flow'st

Yes, the flow'st is back.  :)  I was rather restless, and POOF!  the flow'st popped up in a poem again. 

This time, I'm going to share the meaning of a flow'st.  Gather 'round folks--we're going to unveil the flow'st.

A flow'st is...what you call a word when you don't know the meaning of it.  O.o   It is an all purpose word, really.  You use it in the same way when you say 'supercalifragilisticexpeallidocious' (yes, I can spell it!); you use it when you don't really know what to say.  A better and more literal definition would be; "A word that personifies randomness; a meaningless word that is used in place of meaningful words." It's a rather strange definition, I know; but the flow'st will always be a mystery.  Always...

Anyway, here's another poem I cooked up.  Pardon if it is a little less lighthearted than the last--things never seem to happen the same way twice, and the flow'st is no exception.


There Echoes Now



There echoes now a call to care,
There echoes now to darkness tear,
Can it be found, O now O where?
A lingering call to care?

Why in the world dost thou care?
That flow'st from here to there?
Tisn't the same, no sanity now;
That flow'st from here to there.

Not a care, nay, not a care;
Not a cheesed dollar to spare,
The flow'st dost flow from here to there;
With naught but a dollar to spare.

Darkening music with no happiness there;
Not an ounce, not a note to spare,
Fleeing on without a care,
The cat loses its hair.

Shriek and shrink; they make a pair,
Not a nice one, not quite fair,
That flow'st shall call from here to there,
And all shall stop to stare.

And echoes now from deep places fair,
A call of pain, a call of care,
It calls out from deep places there,
It echoes out so painfully fair;

"I said to him, and he to me,
That I had gone and ate a tree,
The flow'st upon a midnight three,
And caused the cat to flee."

Painfully it lingers there,
Painfully, wondrously fair,
And all the world wonders there,
The flow'st upon that midnight fair.

--
Jake

12 comments:

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

*blinks rapidly* How...sad! The poor flow'st! This verse was especially...excellent:

Painfully it lingers there,/Painfully, wondrously fair,/And all the world wonders there,/The flow'st upon that midnight fair

It's eccentric. With a motley speck of flavour...*gazes softly at the flow'st*

Thank-ye Sir Jake, for unveiling the meaning of the flow'st to us. We greatly appreciate your diligence with things of such...*scrunches brow* interesting comprehension.

Signed with a toothpick,

Squeaks.

Nolan said...

Well, that was--

Oh flow'st! I forgot what I was going to say.

RED~Scribe said...

A toothpick?

Vrenith said...

Cool poem! I liked it, A LOT.

Prescott said...

This is great, Jake! What I thought about the first one, compared to Roald Dahl's Jabberwocky, was that it didn't seem to convey much of a message through it's nonsense, like Jabberwocky did. This, however, does that very well!

Prescott said...

I am eternally sorry. I meant Lewis Carroll.

Free Giftcards NOW said...

Nice poem Jake and thanks for including the flow'st! I also had another thought for you. After reading several of your poems I realized that they are all written with rhymes. Why don't you try writing in free verse,Prose (if you don't know what those are the you can visit the website http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/ I am sure they would give your poetry a new twist.

~Son of the King~

Jake said...

I personally do not like free verse. :) It just--to me--doesn't have the challenge or flowing feel of rhyme. But I should try it out sometime...

Jake said...

@Noah

In case ye didn't know, 'There Echoes Now' is the sequel poem to the much more random (and more interesting, in my opinion) poem 'The Flow'st Upon a Midnight'. I actually quoted part of 'The Flow'st Upon a Midnight' in 'There Echoes Now'.

Here's the link to the other poem: http://jakespen.blogspot.com/2010/10/weird-poetry-apologies-and-complaints.html

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

@Jake, I personally like "The Flow'st Upon a Midnight" best XD "There Echoes Now" is great too, but that first blot of ingenuity just can't be matched XD

Squeaks.

Jake said...

@Squeaks

I'm surprised I could actually write a sequel, lol. I've never attempted it before until now...but 'Flow'st' is still my favorite of the two poems as well.

Prescott said...

@Jake Yeah, I read that. That is what I referred to as "the first one".