Monday, October 11, 2010

Holidays and Writing

Today is a holiday.  My birthday.  Actually, it's Columbus day in the US...but let's just pretend it WAS a holiday.

My mom let me off of school for the entire day--and with a bar of dark chocolate--and do you know what I decided to do?

Watch a movie?  Nope.

Play video games?  Nada.

Eat Cheez-Its all day?  Not that, either.

Think of me...think.

Can you guess what I did?

I wrote.

Yes, I wrote for my birthday.  I wrote in my novel--on my birthday.  I wrote ALL DAY LONG.

I'm still writing, but as of right now I have written 5,000 words.  Whoa!!  I went on a writing spree.  Write, write, write!!!

And the coolest thing is--I absolutely enjoyed it.  I spent the entire day writing, and I loved every moment of it.  I love writing--plain and simple.

So, in celebration of my high-er word count, as well as my birthday (and my friend Aaron's birthday; yes, we share a birthday!), I am going to post a recent excerpt from my novel Sadaar.  :)

Oh, and I'm booming TFK (Welcome to the Masquerade) while writing this; so pardon the high-intensity random stuffs.  :)  I'm choosing an interesting section....

*TFK echoes in the background*

From the chapter "Sons of Drakos".  Unedited glory, so enjoy. :)

--


A voice interrupted his slumber. "And who might you be, boy?"


Aron awoke suddenly, and quickly stood up.

A dragon faced him. Flaming crimson scales, sparkling brilliantly in the sunlight, graced his form, and white fangs jutted out from his jaw.

And yet, it seemed different than the paintings Aron had seen in Aleorendos. The jaw and snout of the dragon was more delicate, and the body was thinner and less burly than Aron had been led to believe. It had straight spines on the crest of its head, unlike any of the dragons drawn in various places Aron had seen before.

"You...you're a dragon," Aron ventured.

The dragon snorted. "You aren't a very smart human, are you? And you can understand me--something someone has never done before. When the prophesied human finally comes, he turns out to be a dimwit."

This stung. "Why do you consider me to be so stupid, dragon?" Aron asked.

The dragon rolled its eyes. "First of all, prophesied one, I am not a dragon. I am I draco."

"What's the difference?"

The dragon sighed, and then recited lines that sounded suspiciously like a child's rhyme.

"There once lived Drakos, long ago,
The First Dragon, who had two children,
One was master of elements; the draco,
And the other a fiery beast; the dragon.

"As you can see, human, dragons and dracos are two different things. You are accustomed to dragons. Dracos are different things altogether, though our kin and I share a forefather. There are four kinds of dracos; Firedrake, Waterdrake, Earthdrake, and Airdrake. Each is a master of their respective elements."

Aron quietly drank in this information. "So you are a Firedrake, then?"

The draco raised an eyebrow. "I see you have not entirely deserted your sense, prophesied one."

"Why do you keep calling me that?"

"Unless you have more powers than the average human, I would not expect you to know about draco legend. I shall tell you, then."

"Wait," Aron said. "You mean, prophecy is coming to life in front of you, and you treat it like it is an everyday experience! Usually people in old stories are all shocked and everything when..." Aron's voice trailed off. Wow, that sounded dumb...

The firedrake snorted. "Do you take me for a petty human out of an old story? Real life works differently. Do you expect me to disbelieve my elders? The prophet said that it would come true. If it was Saar's prophecy, then it shall come true. It is not my place to disbelieve."

"So you believe in Saar?"

The draco let out an exasperated sigh. "Yes. Do you want me to tell you about the prophecy or not, human?"

Aron decided to shut his mouth. "Yes, yes, go ahead."

The firedrake cleared his throat. "Hundreds of years ago, the draco Prophet Sharddë said that a person would come, years into the future, a man unlike other men." Here he gave a pointed glance at Aron. "He would come, and be able to understand us, for no other humans can. To them, they hear growls, hissing, for they have not the ability nor the gift to speak to us. But more, they do not have the faith in Saar to hear us.
"He said that from him, Saar would do a great work. Through him, we would be introduced into the world again, and not be hunted like beasts like in the ages long past. We would be one with Saar's people, and we would again speak to our brethren, the dragons."

The draco turned gazed at Aron. The crimson-rimmed irises bore deep into his heart, his soul. "And from him shall come Saar's Anointed One, from the his line."

Aron felt his heart pound. It was the exact words from Kedus' prophecy, that one that burned into his memory like a flaming iron in his heart.

The firedrake spoke again. "Welcome to these lands, the land of Addewyd. My name is Firescale, promised one."

"Greetings, Firescale," Aron said haltingly. "My name is Aron, son of Shad. I am honored to meet you, and honored to come to Addewyd. I hope that, if I am the one spoken of, that I might live up to its prophecy."

"You are," Firescale rumbled. "I can feel it in my scales, in my bones, in my heart. You and I shall know each other well, before this is over."

"Before what is over?" Aron asked.

Firescale turned his eyes on Aron once more, drilling them deep into Aron's face. "It is also prophesied that the greatest war of this age will take place when the prophesied one comes, one in which nations far and wide shall take part in. A war like none other."

Chills ran up and down Aron's spine. The pieces were in place, he knew. Aleorendos was going to attack Paladain, and when they did, a war like none other would take place. The board was set. The game--the gamble--for the lives of both sides was beginning.

---

Ooh...perhaps it is a wee bit serious.  :)   Now it's Skillet singing...

Well, I should probably go before I drown you in a sea of midnight randomness....ooh, poetic...

--
Jake

10 comments:

Nolan said...

Turn on ye Irish Rovers an' have a cup o' tea!

Seriously... the Irish Rovers are good for fantasy writing =)

RED~Scribe said...

Happy birthday!!! Dark chocolate, no school, TFK and Skillet. . . what's not to like about birthdays? I got to play with my friends' seven puppies this afternoon. I guess it was a good day all around.

Oh, and congrats on writing so much in your novel!! (Awesome excerpt, by the way.) When are you going to get them published?

amy smith said...

left me wanting more!
great job jake.. and happy birthday!

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

Wow! That was great Jake! I love it how you make a distinction between dragon and draco. Have you ever watched the movie Dragonheart? It's pretty cool XD The dragon's name is Draco...it was one of my favourite movies as a youngester...and I still love it. It's a wee bit cheesy (kinda like Princess Bride) but the battle scene is good and the heart scenes *shiver* a wee creepy XD

Signed with a flow'st,

Squeaks ;)

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

O.o I can't believe I forgot ! :P Happy happy Birthday Jake!!! (that's so cool that you wrote for your whole birthday!)

Free Giftcards NOW said...

Hey Jake,

Great story there! You seriously have a talent in writing, I just loved your story! And Happy Birthday!

~Son of the King~

Jake said...

@Squeaks

I've never heard of Dragonheart...O.o Interesting.

But I seriously made up dracos on the spur of the moment...I especially like it because I turned old legends (drakes, dragons) and turned it into something my own. :)

@Eldra

Heh heh. :) I'd have to finish it first. XD But I'm beginning to wade into the publishing scene...I found a cool self-publishing site called CreateSpace that I'm going to look into if I can't get published. :)

Vrenith said...

I especially liked the part where Firescale totally called him a dimwit. It makes things more interesting, not to mention more hilarious.

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

@Vrenith: totally eh? XD

@Jake, you haven't seen the movie Dragonheart!! X.X I thought every one watched that lolz! hehe *calms self down* So was this piece here that you wrote *points at blog post* from your book or is it just a random creative writing thing?

Squeaks.

Jake said...

@Squeaks

From my book. :) I had a lot of fun writing it--dialogue is one of my favorites to write. That, and fighting scenes.