Sunday, October 10, 2010

Strange Happenings

Today is 10/10/10.  In fact, at 10:10 a.m. and ten seconds this morning (and it will happen again at ten tonight) the date will read (from seconds to years), 10 sec. 10:10 on 10/10/10.  Woha! :)

So this makes today a day of strange happenings.  At current, such things as these are happening: tropical trees bloom in my living room, my dog is getting itchy, the tree in the backyard is turning red, and my procrastination regarding writing is getting annoying.

As for other happenings, I learned about an interesting idea for a Bible translation in church today.

Turns out, we speakers of the English language have a problem--You.

What?  Oh, did you think I said that YOU were the problem?  LOL!  No, I mean that the word 'you' is a problem.  In the Bible there are different Greek words that are both translated 'you'.  One is plural, and one is not.  The word 'you' in English covers both.

Now, take a look at this: I am reading the Bible.  "You are the light of the world," it says.  Wow!  Look at that.  I am the light of the world.  Yep.  Feelin' good about myself!

That, of course, is NOT what it means.  But, hey; it said 'you'.

But that's a problem we're stuck with.

But the Texans--well, that's a different story.  They have it figured out.

You see, the whole idea about this special translation of the Bible (which has yet to be made)--is a great idea.  It's called the 'TNIV'; Texan's New International Version.

Now, here's the TNIV translation of that same verse.

"Ya'll are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

"Y'all are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house."


Heh heh.  :)  I hoped ye enjoyed that. 

Well, my musings for today has ended.  

Over and out;

--
Jake

2 comments:

Nolan said...

LOL!

Eagles Wings said...

*cracks up* Tis awesome... now we need a southerner's Bible...