Friday, January 22, 2010

Revising and Editing (Part 2!)

Okay, before I start, I just wanted to clarify on a post I made earlier about the Follower thingamajigger. You can now scroll down (go ahead) and click on 'Become a Follower' on the sidebar. Good? Okay.
To start out, the page number of my book is now 92 (Yes!!).


One of the things that I did throughout the editing, revising, and etc. was adding history. In the very first draft, I had a page that was full of historical information. It was the tale of... well, I can't tell you, for fear of ruining the story. Later, there was another pageful of history. Going through in the first draft, I added little tidbits here and there where I added history, like a reference to a long gone hero. In fact, I wrote just yesterday a scene where the main character found some mysterious and (you guessed it) historical stuff.


Some other stuff I did was adding geography. There were numerous references to towns, cities, and two different countries. I find it's a LOT easier to form a rough map of the area before you write a book. I, unfortunately, didn't find that out until I was done with the book, so I'm going to have to form a map from the events of the book, which has to be with EXTREME painstaking detail. It's very easy to mess up.

With fighting, what I did was add detail. You know the saying, 'the more, the merrier'? That does NOT apply here. I needed detail, but I also needed to keep the action quick and fast-paced, so not to bore the reader.

I am going to expand on what I said on my last post about description. When adding description, I never use the same descriptive word on the same page. I use synonyms instead.
An example of this would be; The dragon flew backwards, and then turned and flew to the Ralar again. A better phrase would be The dragon flew backwards, and then swiveled and shot toward the Ralar again.

Another thing I do is showing emotions through movement. 'The sentry shifted nervously as he replied...' You can also do this with words. '..."S-sir, you are needed at the king's tent." '

I MIGHT be able to think uo some more, but as of right now, I'm on empty, so,

Signing out,
Jake

No comments: