Monday, January 18, 2010

Editing (and Revising)

If I say I haven't blogged in a while, it's probably because I haven't. (Duh!). Either that, or I had nothing to blog about. However, as you can see from the title, I am blogging about editing. When you see the word editing, you probably think I'm going to blog about editing my novel (Unless you've never checked my blog before). Guess what? You're right.
Now, sit back, stop grumbling "Get on with it!", and read what's been happening in the world of my novel.
My current page number is 88. It would have been 91, but the computer did something-or-other, and terminated the program, making me lose 3 pages of editing.
This is what I did for the editing (and revising and rewriting) process.
Before I begin, however, I'd like you to know I am not one of those people who write out an outline, then build on that. Nothing against the outline method, though. I'm more one of those people who sit down and just write a story from beginning to end, with no outline (unless it's a short summary of what I'm trying to do). Really, I'm not really controlling the story, more, it's controlling itself, going whichever way it feels like going. The novel I have now is definitely not the novel I set out to write two years ago. But I'm getting off the subject.
(Note; This next part did NOT all happen at the same time. Note 2; I am going to add examples to show you what I mean in certain places. The examples are not necessarily taken from the novel.)
When I finished my novel, I immediately went through with the Spell Check/Grammar Check (A quite useful device) and checked everything, making adjustments where they were needed, and correcting my spelling (I'm proud to say that there were very few mistakes in that area).
When I was done with that, I read my entire novel through several times, adding clarity on my meaning when needed, among other things.

Example of adding clarity;

Before; 'They both looked at the rock. "That rock looks queer." he said.'
I think, how does the reader know who said that sentence?
After; 'They both looked at the rock. "That rock looks queer." Nalgra said.'

Next, I made sure everything was properly indented. (No need for an example there).
By then, I had changed the name of the document to 'first draft'.
Since I had only a few descriptive scenes in the novel, I then went through the book, adding description.

Example of Adding Description;

Before; 'The green dragon spun through the air.'
After; 'The emerald dragon whirled through the air, a blur of flashing teeth and talons.'

When that was finished, I went through, adding depth and personality to the characters.

Example of adding personality;

Before; '"What does that mean?" said Reuel'
I wanted Reuel to sound and act more like a person, and less like a English professor. I avoid the word 'said' like a plague, so I usually change it to a different word, or couple it with a descriptive word. In this case, I changed it to '"What in the world is that supposed to mean?" asked Reuel indignantly.

Next, I made the obstacles harder, turning detours into things that take up more than just a chapter, pushing the characters where they were unwilling to go.

Example of Detour Change;

Before; They traveled to a city to avoid an enemy patrol.
After; They traveled farther south to lose the patrols altogether, forcing them into dangerous places where they were unwilling to go.

Following that, I added more emotion to the main character's life, putting in late-in-the-night thoughts and other emotions.

Example of added emotions;

Instead of 'He went to sleep immediately.' try 'He tossed and turned restlessly, thoughts of the approaching challenge filling his mind. What was going to happen? (etc.) Filled with these uncertain thoughts, he finally slipped into an uneasy sleep.' Longer thoughts can be added.

I also implied culture (Inspired by Donita K. Paul's post on her writing blog).

Example of Implying culture;

Before; I just added an information dump.
After; I spread my information out in the book, having scenes where the character may be instructed in proper etiquette (again, Donita K. Paul's suggestion) and other places.

I could add a some more, but my mind is drawing a blank for now, and fingers ache a little. So, I might add a sequel post later on, but for now I'll end it. I probably gave you much more information than you wanted, but I had one of those times when I write as fast as fire. So, see you, er, write you, (or something) later.

Jake

No comments: