Friday, May 27, 2011

The Plains of Kansas

A few days back, my family traveled to the family farm, deep in the center of The-Middle-of-Nowhere Kansas.  Mom calls it her "Happy Place".  I call it epic.  Everyone else simply calls it the Farm.  

The scenery of Kansas never ceases to amaze me.  And I'm sure you're tired of my rantings, so I shall let the pictures speak for themselves.  All of these are our own pictures. :)  



Green wheat.  Wait 'til it turns golden—it's even more amazing then.


Some pasture land around ten minutes from the farm.


Some cows in one of the Farm's pastures.  They were really friendly folks. 


A snake we found when digging through an old, abandoned garden.  Anyone know if it's poisonous? ('Tis a little late now, though...)


My dad's old Datsun.  It's overgrown now, and there used to be a skunk living in the hood.  (He wasn't that happy about it.)


This one was taken just after a storm went through.  We got stuck on the Farm for a while because of a tornado watch and a severe thunderstorm warning with hail.


Another picture, this one from the window. (Taken by Yours Truly.)  Magnificent, no?


And the best was for last.  The storm clouds framed the sunset, and the view from Roxbury Hill (as we call it) was breathtaking.  The road races on from there, wet with the rain.  

All the pictures can be clicked for a bigger size.  

I love Kansas.  Not much more to say than that.  What did you all think of the pictures?

--
Jake

4 comments:

RED~Scribe said...

*sigh* I think the pictures are gorgeous. It looks so much Alberta. I feel homesick now. Are you guys near where any of the tornados have been?

Jake said...

Gotta love Kansas...

Aye, we've had a few tornadoes. Nothing has been near enough to damage us, but there's been a few scares.

Lauren said...

Wow! That scenery is new to me :) I live in western Pennsylvania and everything's very hilly, nothing like your Kansas!
I just happened across your blog (blogs!) by being on Abby's (The Director's) page, and wanted to let you know that you're one of the most enjoyable bloggers I've come across yet! It sounds like you won't be blogging too much any more, so I jumped on late, but that's okay :) I've liked looking back on your other stuff; you got some smiles out of me!
God bless you and your family as you start this new journey in your lives!
~Lauren :)

Casey J. Coburn said...

I couldn't help but post, even though this was blogged a long time ago. XD

This photos are amazing. I am jealous of your photography skills (not really; just admiring, XD).

That snake...I'm fairly certain it's a Garter Snake, and therefore non-poisonous...