Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Lay...?

[Before this post starts, I must apologize for my long absence--so... Sorry! :D]

I am rather tired today. School has sucked the life out of me... But the writing curriculum has gone swimmingly. OYAN is officially my favorite writing curriculum...and my only writing curriculum. :D But I'm doing two lessons or more a day, and I can't believe it counts as schoolwork. :)

I can't think of anything more to say, so I will leave you with this part of a lay I am writing. With one confession--my inspiration comes from Tolkien. I love his poems. :)

Tell me what you think of it in the comments section! Does it make you chilly? Intriuged? Does it make you shiver? Does it make you wish that you could read more? Does it make you hungry? Go ahead and tell me what you think. :)


Midnight shrouds the City in sleep,
Choking from Moons their light,
Beneath their gaze in pathways deep,
A dark-cloaked man takes flight.

Through alley and across street,
Under sign and over walk,
The sinister man goes to meet,
Goes to meet a man to talk.

Five men of shadow come forth
Dark-clothed in the deeds they do,
Discarded all deeds of worth,
Hatred and bitterness inflamed anew.

The light of the moon flickers out,
As the men make their way back,
Not a whisper, not a shout,
Resists their silent attack.

Into the silent courtyard they enter,
Not delayed by drugged guard,
They whisper their way to the center,
Into the palace and out of the yard.

The fate of a King is wrought,
In that darkening, shadowed night,
The silent battle of wills is fought,
But the King is gone despite.

Clang! Sounds the bell,
The alarms loudly ring,
But it is too late, this night so fell,
They have taken the King.


--
Jake

10 comments:

Nolan said...

Sounds like there is quite a story behind this one! Very cool. Makes me hungry... and a bit thirsty.

Good to know OYAN is going good for you--it's going good for us, too! I love it.

Jake said...

Haha--me too. More chips. XD

I love it too--I feel pale in comparison to Schwabauer's tips, though. It's coming together, however, but the 12 chapter-one-scene-per-chapter thing [which you might have not gotten to yet] is beginning to irritate me. XD Not much, though.

Nolan said...

To be honest, we're only on lesson 5. We're taking it easy till September, then we will start doing more. I really want to get the workbook done with and get to the writing, so hopefully school will go good so I can do more =)

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

Firstly...the poem was grand; I greatly enjoyed it...it left me feeling a bit, hmm...interested :P (pardon all those dots...)

Secondly, what's OYAN? I've never heard of it before :P

Squeaks.

Jake said...

@Squeaks
OYAN is acronym for One Year Adventure Novel, a unique high school Christian writing cirriculum. I have greatly enjoyed it. :) I think you can check it out at oneyearnovel.com.

@Beorn
You haven't gotten into the hard stuff yet... *knowing nod* The 'Something To Learn' lessons are particularly hard--hard questions, for me, at least. I must have spent an hour or more sweating over them. lol. XD

Nolan said...

Sheesh, I'm spending a few DAYS on "Someone to Care About 1". Though I've kinda rushed into this story because I thought I would be doing a different one. The first person thing kinda messed up with my first story idea, so I had to do another that I had only thought about a little. But all that aside, it's fun!

Jake said...

I can agree to that. :) It's hard, but worth it... Hey, that's an obscure quote from OYAN, isn't it?! ;) (paraphrased)

Pathfinder said...

Oh, my. Very impressive!
Do you mind if I use some of your poems in a compilation of poetry that I'm putting together? (I'd give you credit for writing them, of course)

Jake said...

Path-a-thing, are you browsing through old things again? ;)

Absolutely. ^_^ I'm honored. But, if you mind me saying, this is far from my best work. ;) It's not too bad, as far as my early poetry goes, but I consider my recent stuff much better. :) I'm publishing another poetry post today, if you're interested in those.

Pathfinder said...

Of course I'm browsing through old things. I always notice something new.

Thanks a lot for letting me use this. It's one of your best, regardless the not exactly perfect meter. Poetry isn't about rhyme and meter, et cetera. It's about expressing feelings and emotions, and this one really accomplishes that. It gives me shivers, and actually reminds me of the prologue you posted on your other blog.
Again, very impressive.