Friday, September 2, 2011

Another Look at Doctor Who

Well, it's been a while.  Seeing as I don't have a whole lot to blog about on this blog (and my Doctor Who semi-obsession continues), I thought I'd blog about Doctor Who....again.  It's non-Whovian friendly, don't worry.  You don't have to know anything more than what I'll tell you in the post to understand what I'll be saying.

This time, I'm going to take a look at the Doctors, their themes, and some Doctor Who soundtrack.  All from the new Doctor Who seasons, of course.  And my opinion on them.  If you don't have much time, just read through the descriptions.  There's a lot of videos. XD

First, here's the Doctor, in his various regenerations in the new Doctor Who seasons.  (For those of you who don't know, the Doctor is an alien from a race called the Time Lords, and he's the last of his kind.  They possess the ability to "regenerate" whenever their bodies are near death.  Every cell is rewritten until the Doctor becomes a new person, complete with a new actor.  He shares the same memories of the previous Doctors.  Thus, each Doctor is numbered according to their number of regenerations.)

THE NINTH DOCTOR


He's the Doctor with the second-shortest run acting as the Doctor; Christopher Eccleston, the Ninth regeneration of the Doctor.  He was in the new Doctor Who seasons (starting in 2005) for just one series.  However, he is my personal favorite; for his accent, his trademark leather jacket, and especially because he showed the darker side of the Doctor.  When he met his companion, Rose, he was a Doctor who was grim and sometimes merciless.  But he grew during the seasons until he would stop at nothing to rescue those who he loved and would never let evil walk away unpunished.  Here's a clip of him in "Bad Wolf"; this is one of my favorite Ninth Doctor scenes.




THE TENTH DOCTOR


David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor.  Some consider him to be the greatest Doctor of all time.  He's quirky and funny; he can be grim and terrible; he has the greatest emotion of all the Doctors.  

He sits as a very close second to Christopher Eccleston as my favorite Doctor.   Complete with a tan trench-coat, a tie, crazy hair, and an array of emotions, he's a brilliant Doctor.  He ran for three full seasons and several specials, including the End of Time, where he regenerated.  I consider the end of The End of Time to be one of the greatest Doctor Who scenes ever; bittersweet, emotional, and utterly poetic.  It's a masterpiece of writing.  However, there are too many spoilers to post it here, so I'll post two videos of Tennant; one showing his serious side and the other showing his quirky side.


It was really hard finding anything worth posting on David Tennant's run (he has so many good scenes, and a lot of them are short) so I'll settle for this one.  It has spoilers for the episode "The Doctor's Daughter", so beware.




THE ELEVENTH DOCTOR


Matt Smith is the Eleventh Doctor.  He's also the youngest, the silliest, and the newest Doctor.  His era is also marked by a change in head writers.  Steven Moffat takes over the role from Russell T. Davies; he's my favorite of the Doctor Who writers and is known for the clever and darker episodes like Silence in the Library and Blink.  (If you've never heard of him, he also wrote the script for the first Tintin movie, which has yet to be released.)

He's definitely a great Doctor, but of the three, he's my least favorite.  While he is certainly hilarious, he has few serious moments and has a strange lack of emotion in his role.  This doesn't prevent him from being epic, however.  

The following scene is right after his regeneration into the Eleventh Doctor.  New tastebuds, new rules, wot.


And for the record....

Fezzes are cool.  And bowties.  And Stetsons.


Also, the Eleventh Doctor's most fantastic speech (also in the episode after his regeneration).




SOUNDTRACK

The Doctor's Theme

This is the theme of the Doctor.  While it is not used in the Matt Smith episodes, it is often used in the earlier seasons.  Here's the one used in Series One with the Ninth Doctor—a lone voice singing the song of the last of the Time Lords.



I Am the Doctor

Also known as the Eleventh Doctor's theme or Every Star Every Planet, I Am the Doctor is used a lot in series 5-6.  It's epic. 


The Doctor's Theme/The Tenth Doctor's Theme

The first section of this song is the The Doctor's Theme used in series 2-4, the Tenth Doctor's era.  It's basically a redone version of the first Doctor's Theme.  The rest of the song is from the fourth series, and the end is similar to the soundtrack from Tennant's regeneration.  It makes me sad...



Doctor Who Theme 2005-2007

I originally posted the longer version of this song earlier.  This is my favorite of the Doctor Who themes (used in the beginning credits).  It's the perfect mixture of alien and orchestra.



Doctor Who Theme 2008-2009

Also a great theme, this brings in a different feel to the song.  It's more action than the previous one, with a strong beat.  I like it, but not quite as much.  This one, instead of plain soundtrack, actually has the opening credits (though the credits are played over and over to continue with the soundtrack).  The credits are in the Time Vortex, and you can see the TARDIS hurtling through.



Doctor Who Theme 2010-Present

With the change of Doctors, sonic screwdrivers, and head writers, it also came with a change of credits and music, and even the Doctor Who logo changed.  The new version isn't as good as the previous two, and it's much more alien than them as well.  However, it's still good stuff.


Well, that's all I'm going to gab for today.  If you had time to look through the videos, let me know what you thought.  And my next post won't be another Doctor Who rave, I promise. ;)

--
Jake

7 comments:

S. Evelyn said...

...I need to watch Doctor Who. I've never watched it and I really need to. It appears to be epic.

Seth Skogerboe said...

Fantastic post, Jake. My favorite one of the three doctors so far was David Tennant. He really knew how to do draw on one's emotions. (*sniff*) :-)

Pathfinder said...

The Tenth Doctor's theme did have a meloncholy ring to it... It's truly amazing how music - instrumental music - can affect emotions. Truly. Amazing.

Eleventh Doctor? Emotionless? O_o Are we talking about the same Eleventh?
He's not emotionless, oh, no; it-it seems that the emotions are always just under the surface. There, just waiting for you to look for them, and see. A very conflicted man, that one. Very conflicted, very lonely, very...sad.

Jake said...

Heh, Path-a-thing, as compared to Ten, he's practically bland, emotionally. Have you seen much of David Tennant? I'm not entirely sure which episodes you've watched or not. XD

And Tennant's themes are very melancholy because of the conflicted and crazy Doctor he played. He's the Doctor who not only cracks jokes like Eleven, but in his grimmest and darkest moments, he's the darkest Doctor.

I think the regeneration of Ten into Eleven put a lot of emotions under the surface, aye. Eleven hides much of his emotion with bravado and a smile. Not that it's bad, but I think it makes Ten the better Doctor.

Pathfinder said...

Okay, now I've seen a little more Tennant, but I still don't agree. Yes, Ten was emotional (and, though I hate to admit it, did occasionally make me want to cry a couple times. Or maybe it was the melancholy music. Anyway). But when he apologizes, it almost seems...ingenuine. fake, if you will. But that's not the
point, really.
I think I see what you mean. However, both Ten and Eleven were very emotional. Eleven was just more reserved, and expressed his emotions in a different way, sometimes rechannelling them into energy.
Tennant let them show through his face.

do you know where I can watch series six without having to sign up for a membership or pay any money?

Jake said...

I think to truly understand Tennant's Doctor, you need to see Series 2-4. In order. It's like reading a series out of order, skipping like that. ;) The Tenth Doctor goes from being fairly light and carefree to a burdened man who has lost so much. It's like one long story, and it helps you understand the Tenth Doctor better. At first, he does just seem to wear his emotions on his sleeve, but that's because you haven't seen it all.

Psh, *I* almost cried at his last episode. And, by the way, don't watch that episode until you've seen every single David Tennant episode there is. Because it's worthless otherwise. It has so much more emotional power after three seasons of the Tenth Doctor.

Again, I'm not saying that the Eleventh is emotionless, even though I alluded to that before. He's got some great emotion (take for instance 2011's Christmas Special - love that episode!) BUT - not a lot compared to Ten.

You can watch every New Who episode on http://doctorwhomedia.co.uk, I think. Hope it works. :) They usually have the newest episodes up to watch several hours after they air in the UK.

Pathfinder said...

Okay, fine. I'll do it the right way... :P
I'll get back to you when I've watched more in order. (But you know me, ever unconventional at times.)
I've been saving that episode, definitely. ;)
that website hasn't worked for me before, but I'll try again.
Thank you